Wikipedia

Search results

Friday, August 30, 2013

Enrich Your Soul – Read One More Book

“If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot.” ― Stephen King

Image - graceandivy.wordpress
Yet another writing advice you will come across frequently – read more and write better. For once in my life I cannot agree more. Read and read and when you get tired read some more. Surrender yourself to the realm of words written by the masters and you will notice the change yourself.

If you want to tell better stories, you need to grow as a writer.

You need to read.

For me this has never been a problem. I have always been a voracious reader, I still am. I read because I just cannot survive without books. I have a personal library with hundreds of books and the number is rising. My mother sometimes looks at the growing number with concern and says – someday either you will remain in the house or your books will. Now, that’s an exaggeration. Honest.

Jokes apart, the point is not having a library of your own. Once upon a time I could not afford to buy books, I didn’t have the money. To satisfy my hunger I visited bookstores and read. I could not finish the books as it was not possible when you are roaming in a bookstore. But, I got to read few pages everyday. The more I read, the more I wanted to write.

Why reading is emphasized like this? Why every writer suggests the aspiring writers to read? Why?

As you read, you grow. You don’t grow only as a writer, you grow as a human being. Experience and perception team up to make great writers. What you read will influence your writing eventually. Slowly, you will look at the world in a different view.

As a writer, you need to inspire yourself. Nothing gets the inspiration come pouring better than reading. Ever felt the itch reading a writer? As you continue to read, you will eventually come across a writer who will make your fingers itch and heart swell in envy. Let me tell you this is one profession where envy is not forbidden. Unless you are jealous, you will not want to do better. Yet, you need to know how to use the jealousy in a constructive way.

Great tales come from great imagination and descriptive writing. Holding the readers by hand and taking them through the mazes of the world you have built takes skill. Only good fiction can teach you how to write such scenes.  

You don’t want your readers to put down the book you have so lovingly crafted and forget all about it. You want your book to remain till the day this world comes to an end. To reach that height, you need to work hard. You need to invest time for reading and writing.

To keep the motivation alive, you can try the tricks. These work for me. Let’s see if these can work for you too.  

Have a Date with Your Books

Take your book out. Find a cozy café and indulge into reading. That may cost you some money and I know writers are not always fortunate in money matters. So, find a cozy park and take your book there. Sit under a tree and lose yourself into the fictitious world. Ever read a book in rain? I have. Once I sat in a downpour with a huge umbrella and read Game of Thrones. The experience? Words cannot describe it. I discovered the joy of reading once again.

Take a Long Walk with Your Book

Don’t try to read while walking. At least not when the traffic is heavy. Take a long walk. Read the nature instead. Read the body languages of the people around you. This is also a training process. You are a writer training yourself. The next bestseller in the making. Act like one. Give your dream a chance. Don’t shy away from hard work.

Commit Yourself

Commit to reading like you are married to books. Don’t undertake too much at once. Don’t try to finish Atlas Shrugged at one go.  You will be disappointed if you fail to finish the book. Instead read one page everyday. One little step will take you a long way. One day you will realize that you have finished countless books. Start today and never stop. Have fun. That is the bottom line. Whatever you read you should enjoy. Read for pleasure first, slowly you will be reading to improve yourself.


“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.” ― Stephen King

No comments:

Post a Comment