Wikipedia

Search results

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Suffering from Writer’s Block? Sure I Believe You


We, writers, suffer from many romantic notions. We think that we are different (may be some of us are). We think we are born with the blessing called imagination. We prefer to spend time in isolation. And we blame writer’s block for everything that is wrong in our lives. Been there and done that. Every time I scream my heart out and humiliate someone close, I put the blame on writer’s block. It’s like blaming God for everything that is wrong in my life. God does not defy and thus He is the easiest target.

It’s easy you know and it’s handy. This is something people don’t understand. Those who don’t write, don’t know what blockage is. I know this and so does everyone who calls themselves writer with pride. It is romantic to walk into a dry well. It is almost God like to feel something that others don’t understand.

The reality is another matter all together. The reality is…writer’s block does not exist. Yes, it does not. I am a writer and I have never faced a block in my life. I blame it on the block when nothing else works.  It’s a guise that I wear to conceal the fact that I have been lazy.

There's no such thing as writer's block. That was invented by people in California who couldn't write ― Terry Pratchett

If you call yourself a writer, you gotta have the passion or the dream of making it to the publication someday. Respect your craft. Respect your skill. And respect your passion. Don’t create something that does not exist just for the heck of it. People without writing experience may believe you. But those who know the craft, those who write and those who write everyday, will not believe you. In their eyes, you will be nothing but an excuse creator. I came to realize this – the hard way.

The only reason you can't write is because you don't ― A.A. Patawaran, Write Here Write Now: Standing at Attention Before My Imaginary Style Dictator

I am into content writing for the last two years. I am writing even since I have learnt to speak. I know a thing or two about the craft. The worst thing that may happen is you will produce trash. But you cannot write, that you are suffering from a block, I am sorry my friend, this is just an excuse for not writing.

Writer's block' is just a fancy way of saying 'I don't feel like doing any work today ― Meagan Spooner  

Creative writing requires thinking and you may face a problem in imagining things and that may linger for a day or two. But this romanticism is not applicable in content writing. The only way you can face a block is by writing too much. Too many words or articles can turn you into a zombie. But if you are not writing or writing one  blog post per day and still blaming it on writer’s block, you are committing a sin.

Okay, let’s assume, you are really suffering from this block. That you are really finding it hard to write. I will still ask you what you are doing about it. What action are you taking to overcome the block? Be honest to yourself and answer this.

You see I am not trying to call you a liar. I hardly give a damn about what you are doing. It is just that you are lying to yourself and your passion. It’s your craft that will suffer and sometimes your clients who have trusted you to deliver the job. It’s about time you stop lying and get the things done.


So, next time do us a favor and find another excuse. We have been writing for too long to believe you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment