Wikipedia

Search results

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Writing Law Violation – Shock Them

It’s been a while since I got to write anything. Life, not just life, it’s my fucking professional life that got me and bam… there went everything that I loved outta window. I thought of writing something for the blog, but failed to find a good topic. Nothing seemed good enough to write about. It was an excuse and I knew it. I just didn’t want to write anything. Twice I even started writing a post. It’s a review of a book I am reading currently. But the words and sentences sounded like someone else had written them. So, I forced myself to hit the delete button.

That got me thinking. I always say that writers write. What the fuck did I do in these past two weeks? Nothing, just sat around wrote some worthless contents that would never draw any reader and cursed and cursed. That’s it. Yeah, I did some reading. But reading to me is like taking the next breath. You take my books away and you have killed me. So, reading for pleasure does not count. At least I don’t think so.

I simply did nothing. And I call myself a writer. With pride mind you.

Inside I knew that I should write. I even looked longingly at the notebook where I am writing my next novel, but the Pilot V5 seemed too heavy between my fingers. And I set it away.

This is a familiar phase to me. This happens. Too frequently to be natural. These are phases that tempt me to run away or find solace inside the pages of a fairy tale. But, life is not a fairy tale, is it guys? Life is a novel. It is hard and harsh. Harsher than my tongue sometimes lol.

So, in the end I broke the fast last night and jotted down some words in the notebook. And man, did it feel good to be back? You bet it did. I broke almost all the grammar rules and regulations that have ever been created. Thank God they don’t prosecute for grammar law violation. I would have been a goner by now, if they did.

I have written another post about getting into a writing habit. But this one is for the law breakers.

Do break some law (literary)

Be daring and break the law. Some of your friends will frown at this. Yet, breaking rules feels good. It is like breaking free of the captivation. It is like letting fresh air inside your room and breathing a lungful. Make yourself forget all the shits you have learnt all your life and write. If writing without punctuation helps you by all means do it. Look, I am not encouraging anyone to be a bad writer and this rule breaking may not get you published. But, this will surely set free your creativity. You may even find that kickass voice of yours this way.

Curse

Yeah, allow yourself to curse. Cursing gets the frustration out and you will feel fucking good after a good session. Because I am a natural, I never needed any encouragement. Those words come to me.

Read Something Unconventional

Classics are good for improving your vocab. But then again Archie comics is also good for entertainment. Why restrict your reading? Comics will teach you how to frame dialogues. Read them. Don’t be ashamed to admit that yes, you do read Archie.

Mix Genres

Recently I got an advice from a very dear friend of mine – thrillers thrill and mysteries should be all about suspense and not philosophical.  While I respect him and accept most of everything he says, here I had to defy him. Where the fuck it is written that mystery cannot have a philosophical touch? Who the hell says that a sleuth cannot have feelings? I personally think (I am not always right, but neither are the critics) every character should have feelings and their emotions should be portrayed on paper. Then again, you may think otherwise. Try mixing genres. This will be fun, I am telling you. Write a philosophical mystery or psychological romance. See how far you can continue.  


Forgive me for being what I am and expressing my truest feeling. I am not saying the above mentioned tips will make you write like John Grisham. But they may help or they may not. There is no harm in trying though.  

1 comment: