Wikipedia

Search results

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Don’t Get Trapped inside Your Writer’s Notebook


If you are writer, you MUST have a notebook. This is the place where you set yourself free and allow your imagination to run wild. The notebook is your storage place where you keep your thoughts safe.
There was a time when I used to jot down everything in my notebook. Be it a mere thought or a simple memory, everything went to the pages of the journal. I knew someday these things would come handy, someday I would use these somewhere. With passing time notebooks mounted over my cabinet. If you ever search my desk, you will find all sorts of notebooks in different shapes and colors, you name it and it is there.
So, this is the real picture – hundreds of notebooks, each containing more than hundred pages, thousands of thoughts are captured there, noted carefully. And when I need one special thought to use in a story, all I need to do is………well you can imagine. I will have to get down on my knees and rummage through the year old pile, go through each page of each notebook and hope to unearth the tiny piece of jewel. Plenty of work guys, it’s better to rely on your memory. I learnt to do this hard way.
If I say that I don’t have a notebook in my bag right at the moment, I will be lying. There is one. But I don’t run to it every time a thought occurs to me. I don’t even write down all the story ideas in it.
Learn to trust your heart and allow an idea to grow rather than capturing it somewhere in haste. I believe, if something is meant to stay, it will stay. If the characters are worth spending time with, they will drive you crazy until you sit down and make them emerge out of your heart.
Do indulge in your fascination and buy notebooks. These things are great when you are doing writing exercises. Spend five minutes everyday with your writer’s journal, before you begin the real writing session. Have fun writing whatever comes to your mind. But, don’t get trapped inside the pages of notebook. You may not be able to get out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment