Wikipedia

Search results

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Writing Space & Time – Early Morning Writing Session


It is important to have a space to write. Ever since I have started taking the writing business seriously, I am looking for this space. To be able to spend a few hours of writing without having anyone to hover over the shoulders is a blessing. And I so desperately was searching for one such place which will keep me away from the distractions.
Looking around I finally decided on the attic where no one goes. Within a couple of days, I found myself in that room with my desk and everything. Sound from the outside world does not usually invade that room. So, I smile in satisfaction – viola, finally (here I inhaled the cramped air of the room and immediately coughed it out).
So, here I sat with a stack of fresh white paper and a series of pens (yes, pen and paper unleash my creativity). I kept the dictionary and the thesaurus within my reach. A bottle of water was there too. I fixed my eyes on the paper, took a deep breath and waited – for the flood of words and stampede of creativity. The clock ticked in the background. Any moment now and I would lose myself into another world. I waited and waited. But, alas, only the blank paper stared back at me. I waited for another ten minutes. Nothing happened. I could not even produce the worst writing of my life. I could not jot a single word down on the page.
Coffee, I need coffee – I told myself. Another ten minutes later, I sat eyeballing the same blank page with a steaming mug of coffee in my hand. Nothing just nothing emerged out of my mind. Finally, beaten, broken and frightened that I was about to lose my words, I sprinted down the stairs with my favorite notebook and pen.
Just to make sure that I could still write, I did a quick writing session for fifteen minutes. When the page was filled with words, I leaned back and inhaled in relief. Yes, I could write and the words were still there inside my heart.
Presently, I have chosen a corner of the bedroom and placed my tiny desk and uncomfortable wooden chair. My work still sucks sometimes. But being able to produce something which sucks is better than producing nothing at all.
Isolation is good. It makes you think and realize a lot of things. But, being among people, I think is also necessary. This stimulates the creative flow. I have changed my writing time and selected the early morning session to avoid the interruption. Leaving bed one hour earlier seemed like a punishment to me the first time. After a mug full of strong coffee, I could open my eyes and appear at the writing desk.
When I lay the pen on the paper, I realized the bliss of early morning writing. Chirping of birds and the stir of human life outside the window along with the mellow sunray shifted something within my soul. My own writing felt like some else’s work of creativity. It sounded like the flurry of imagination of a happy soul.
You should try it too. Even if you are not a morning person like me, you should try early morning writing for once. You never know, like me you may even become addicted to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment